Sunday, January 9, 2011

Days 5, 6, 7

Well, I've done it. Or rather, God's done it. I have been doing this for a whole week so far. The first few weeks are usually the hardest so, here's to one week down and 5 more to go. Here's what I've learned:

Day 5 - Food is Not the Problem

So this was an amazing day. Apparently, all of our focus on what type of food we eat and what diet to do is basically useless. Some diets say only eat meat. Some say only eat carbs. Some say only eat veggies. Some say drink a shake and others to take a pill. They all contradict each other. This is why I have never really fallen for most diets. It seemed to me like people who went on diets all the time had to keep going on diets because as soon as they got off of a diet, they gained the weight back and more. I didn't want that to happen. Also, I had a hard time believing that I could ever actually give up all of my much beloved foods, including meat and bread and chocolate. It also seemed that every diet claiming to be healthy wanted you to buy their food products! No offense, but I don't want to eat Atkins bars, South Beach Diet drinks, Weight Watchers foods, and Jenny Craigs meals for the rest of my life! With the whole natural and organic craze still going around in full force, I always wondered what it was all for? Why should I drink a green concoction of grass tasting disgustingness to boost my vitamins? Why can't I just eat normal food in moderation. I don't want a temporary fix. I want a life-changing solution!

Then I did this lesson.

"It's also important to test our assumptions in the area of food and weight loss issues. Most diet "experts" tell us that, if we are overweight, the problem is in the type of food we've been eating. To correct the problem, they tell us, we need to avoid "wrong" foods and begin eating "right" foods. They insist that the problem is with the food. But let's "test our assumptions" in this area...While we respect these experts' education, we must disagree with their conclusions. If we're overweight, food is not the problem! And if food is not the problem, changing the types of food we eat is not the solution. These diet-craze gurus have missed the boat, and are actually contributing to the problem, rather than providing a proper solution." -SCF


Two of my favorite verses from this day are:

"You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the spiritual powers of this world. So why do you keep on following the rules of the world, such as, 21 "Don’t handle! Don’t taste! Don’t touch!"? 22 Such rules are mere human teachings about things that deteriorate as we use them. 23 These rules may seem wise because they require strong devotion, pious self-denial, and severe bodily discipline. But they provide no help in conquering a person’s evil desires" - Colossians 2:20–23

"Now the Holy Spirit tells us clearly that in the last times some will turn away from the true faith; they will follow deceptive spirits and teachings that come from demons. 2 These people are hypocrites and liars, and their consciences are dead. 3 They will say it is wrong to be married and wrong to eat certain foods. But God created those foods to be eaten with thanks by faithful people who know the truth. 4 Since everything God created is good, we should not reject any of it but receive it with thanks. 5 For we know it is made acceptable by the word of God and prayer."
1 Timothy 4:1–5


"The Scripture passage above reveals the real problem: indulgence of the flesh! It makes perfect sense if you think about it: what is it that makes me want to eat the entire gallon of ice cream? What makes me crave a late-night snack that turns into an all-you-can-eat buffet? The answer is that I want to indulge my flesh. My flesh cries out to be gratified and, lacking self-control, I indulge it. That is the problem—not food in itself. This realization requires us to re-evaluate our struggle and our goals. If our condition is a result of indulging the flesh, it's useless to change the types of foods with which we indulge the flesh. If I forsake eating breads and only indulge with meat, what have I profited? My heart and lifestyle have not changed; even if I lose weight for a time, it will certainly come back until I identify the real problem: that I have a habit of indulging my flesh." -SCF


I am still processing this lesson, but it really opened my eyes. I think a lot of people struggle with food addiction but not many people come forward and just say it. And this isn't only just for people who are overweight, but people who are always dieting and so concerned about their weight and what they eat too. I liked how they ended the lesson (and please forgive me for all of the quoted stuff.)
"The Bible teaches that we are to receive all types of food with thanksgiving to God. The Scriptures specifically state that "nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving." Food is not the problem! Try telling that to the diet gurus. So how do we lose and manage weight if we eat anything and everything? The answer is straightforward: eat in moderation. Eat in a disciplined manner. Eat with self control. Plan your intake of food. And importantly, be accountable to someone for the amount you eat. So which religion do you follow? The "taste not, touch not" religion, which requires you to follow man-made rules? These might have the appearance of wisdom (otherwise, how could millions be taken in by them?) but they do nothing to restrain indulgence of the flesh. Or are you instead learning to feed on Christ, eating all types of food in moderation and with thanksgiving?" -SCF


Day 6 - Two Kinds of Food

This lesson was more about physical food verses spiritual food. The importance of reading his word and spending time with him. Goding to God instead of going to food. Dealing with the issue at heart rather than using food as a temporary fix or comfort.
"Christ is real food for the soul, and to embrace and feed on Him produces
freedom from life-dominating, habitual sin." -
SCF


Day 7 - Happy Are the Helpless

This lesson was more about being broken before Christ, realizing our dependence and need for him. I am very prideful and feel that I should be able to fix things on my own, but is showing me how much I need him and how much I am nothing without him, especially when dealing with sin struggles.
"God gives grace to the humble, not to the proud. The
humble—those who recognize their own impoverished condition—are given grace."
SCF


Since this post is getting way longer than I intended, I guess I'll stop there, but I am really excited about this. I can go on and on about each lesson, but you can always go to the course to see more. Thanks for reading, if indeed anyone is reading ;)

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment