Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Lord's Table

So, it's a new year and I thought it would be cool to start a blog about my journey to health and losing weight, all the while drawing closer to God and giving him the glory. For those wondering, Elohim is a Hebrew word meaning 'God.' I'm doing this because I want to desire God more and learn to get rid of the poor habits that I have grown used to over the years. Diets don't work for me. I'm not very disciplined and also it doesn't fix the issues at heart. You lose some weight and then gain it all back and more! Diets are also self focused. Instead of giving the glory to God, we work hard to 'fix' ourselves on our own and take all of the credit for ourselves. We want to look good to impress someone, for an event, or even just to be healthier for our sakes, but it still selfish.

Two days ago I began a bible study called 'The Lord's Table' that is found on the Setting Captives Free website. It's not really a diet so much as it's a Bible study with a lifestyle change. The Lord's Table is a 60-day Christian Bible study that is for drawing us close to God as we seek to get rid of the sin of overeating/gluttony/food addiction. There are some challenges, especially with the optional eating plans that you can choose to do. At first I didn't really want to do one. It seemed to hard to tackle that while tackling the heart issue. But then I didn't want to half do this. Y'know. Give a half effort when God is trying to form me to be more like him. Plan 1 is the one I decided on and it pretty much goes with each day of the study. Half day means you eat half as much food as you normally would. Liquids day means you drink only liquids that day (water, juice, milk, broth). Normal day is self explanatory. And a Fast day is a day where you only drink water and focus on God. You can even start a fast day after the dinner of the normal day and then have a lite meal for dinner on the 'fast' day, thus making it 24 hours. He's an example below:


Plan 2 is where you listen to your body and eat only when you're hungry. I'm not doing this plan so I won't really go into it.

Anyway, the point is not to do the plans. They are optional and you don't have to do it if you don't want to. But the main point of the Bible study is growing you in your relationship with Christ and seeking fulfillment from him instead of turning to food. I confess. I am an emotional eater. And I am also and artist, so you do the math. I am up and down a lot and because of that I usually turn to food. I am currently on day 3 and things seem to be going well. It's not an easy thing to go through, especially when dealing with something that is an addiction. I confess that on the first day I was quite overwhelmed by the prospect of doing this study. It seemed that I would have to change, for real, and I guess my sinful flesh did not like this prospect. The cool thing is that God is guiding me through this and giving me the energy and desire to push forward. My mum and sis are also taking this course as well and so we are here for each other and to encourage one another. Thank goodness!

So, in the days to come, I will be sharing my thoughts about the study, what God's showing me, and any other random stuff on my mind. Enjoy!


Isaiah 55:2–3
"Why spend money on what is not bread,
and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.
Give ear and come to me;
hear me, that your soul may live.
I will make an everlasting covenant with you,
my faithful love promised to David."

No comments:

Post a Comment